J. Gordon Wood, Ruth and Irving Pink, and the Women’s Auxiliary were honored recently for their exemplary service to the Yarmouth Regional Hospital. In recognition of their many years of volunteer service, the Hospital Foundation and South West Health have assigned their names to three meeting rooms within the hospital complex.
Foundation Chair, David Arenburg and South West Health CEO, Blaise MacNeil announced that, Lecture Room 1 will be named the J. Gordon Wood Meeting Room, Lecture Rooms 2 & 3 will become the Ruth and Irving Pink Meeting Room. The before mentioned rooms are located near Human Resources. A newly established area located across from Diagnostic Imaging will be named The Women’s Auxiliary Meeting Room. All three rooms are on the main floor of the hospital.
“We’re pleased to acknowledge these significant contributors to the Yarmouth Regional Hospital. Not only have they dedicated a life time to making our hospital a center of excellence in health care, their actions also serve as a springboard for others to follow.”
David Arenburg, Chair , Yarmouth Hospital Foundation.
“Volunteers are important contributors to our health care system and recognizing them in an appropriate way is important to South West Health.,” says Blaise MacNeil, CEO, South West Health. “My sincere congratulations to the Pink family, to Gordon Wood and to the YRH Ladies Auxiliary and thank you for all you have done to support your hospital,” he adds.
Gordon Wood’s unwavering commitment to the Yarmouth Regional Hospital began with his appointment to the Board of Trustees by the Municipality of Argyle in 1980. He became President of the Board in 1989 and he accepted the position of Chair of the Yarmouth Hospital Foundation in 1993. Gordon played a vital role in the hospital expansion in the early 90’s. Under his tenure the Foundation was restructured and the profile of the organization was raised to new heights through successful fundraising efforts and the establishment of a Foundation office within the hospital. Gordon Wood’s commitment to the hospital is also reflected in his service as a board member of both Harbourside Lodge, Tidal View Manor and as former Chairman of the Ethics Committee of the Regional Hospital
Ruth Pink began her volunteer service with the Women’s Auxiliary of the Yarmouth Regional Hospital in the mid 50’s. She was a convener of the Gift Shop and she served as Auxiliary President for three terms. Her invaluable work reflects the Auxiliary’s motto of Loyalty, Service, Dedication.
Irving Pink O.C., Q.C., DCL, became a member of the Regional Board of Trustees in 1952. Under his leadership, covering a span of 37 years, the hospital grew considerably. A new diagnostic center was built as well as a home for the aged and a home for the mentally challenged, in addition, the Yarmouth Hospital Foundation was established.
Seldom seen without each other, the combined leadership of Ruth and Irving Pink was evident when they co-chaired the hospital expansion campaign in the early 90’s. They successfully raised over $8 million in an effort to modernize the Yarmouth Regional Hospital for the benefit of residents of Digby, Shelburne and Yarmouth Counties.
The Women’s Auxiliary organization has played a vital role in making the Yarmouth Regional Hospital the thriving health complex it is today. Originally called the Ladies Aid Society, the group was formed on November 12, 1907 – five years before the opening of the first Yarmouth hospital. The fundraising efforts of this hardworking group of volunteers has resulted in millions of dollars in contributions towards the purchase of hospital equipment and furnishings. Revenue from The Gift Shop and the annual Hospital Hullabaloo have brought improvements to virtually every department of the Yarmouth Regional Hospital.